(This blog is an encore to the six topic, “Overcoming Series” concluded earlier this week)
Despair is hopelessness and hopelessnes is despair. To be in despair is to be without hope. To be without hope is to be in despair.
Despair encourages surrender, not like pride for humility, but of surrendering to the fatalism that all is lost.
DESPAIR WANTS YOU TO BELEIVE THAT:
- You will never succeed.
- There will never be another chance.
- No matter what you do, you will fail.
- Giving up and quitting are the only things you know.
- Life has past you by and you’ll never catch up.
- Keep Fighting: failing, falling, and finishing last can be habit-forming. So, no matter what, don’t give in to hopelessness, refuse to believe in it. Some days you won’t have the strength or will to keep fighting, but keep going and keep trying. Persistence will ultimately win the day.
- It’s How You Know: the struggle can be overwhelming, but we strive to overcome what’s overwhelming. If we quit struggling then we accept losing. Battling tough temptations, or the conflict in relationships, or the heartaches of life can threaten to defeat us. If we keep going then we know that we haven’t quit.
- Divine Support: some burdens are too big for one set of shoulders and can lead to deep despair. I can’t carry a bucket of water forever. And what if there’s two buckets? Weighed down, back stooped, neck throbbing, and hands breaking, it’s too much! Prayer and faith can off-load some of the weight. “Cast all your anxiety on him for he cares for you.” I Peter 5:7.
Mahatma Gandhi: “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won.”
Marion Bradley: “The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination.”
Despair is hopelessness. And hopelessness is an empty, gut wrenching way to live. Build your life in hope. Believe in the path of truth and love. Do all you can, with divine assistance, to fight against despair!
My son is a film maker and part owner of a production company called
Epoch Filmmakers ( epochfilmmakers.com)
He recently wrote, directed, and produced a short film called:
The story is about a dad who happens to be a minister. He begins to believe that is failing both his ministry and his family. The film portrays “Despair” as a character, an enemy who attacks him and plots to destroy him. Will Despair emerge victorious?
You will be blessed and uplifted by watching the film.