My daughter asked me to go car shopping with her. She is smart, capable and confident but still, she wanted her Dad to go with her. She had a car to trade in and quite a lot of cash to put down. She knew the style of car she wanted and was looking forward to driving models from two manufacturers.
I of course said, “Yes”.
We went on the last Friday of 2019. We met at a dealership about 9:00 and I asked her,
“Before we get busy with a salesman, tell me your goal, is it driving home in a new car?”
“No, I want to decide on the car I want and then shop online for the best price.”
I said, “Okay, good plan”.
Nine hours later she drove home in her new car.
THE TEST DRIVES
She drove the first model and liked it a lot. Then she drove a similar model and liked it less. Then we went to a different dealership. She gave their model a thorough test drive and talked with the saleswoman at length. We left and went somewhere to eat a quick lunch and process the next move.
She wanted to go back and drive that first car again. They still had a copy of her insurance card and license and so the salesman did a smart thing, he handed us the keys and said, “Go have fun”.
By the time she finished negotiating their price and her trade it was late afternoon. After arriving at an acceptable deal she called her husband who was at work. They went back and forth for over an hour discussing all sorts of things. Once they finished she signed the paperwork.
He left his office and stopped to pick up the title to her car and then came to the dealership, arriving about 6:30. They hugged and we hugged, and then I said good bye. I was happy for her and proud of her, but I wasn’t ready for the day to end.
Top Ten Things I Love About Helping My Daughter Buy a Car:
10. Her smile when she drove that first car.
9. Her resolve in getting the deal she wanted.
8. The questions she asked me throughout the day.
7. The way she looked at me when she wanted me to weigh in.
6. The things girls care about that boys don’t when it comes to cars.
5. The amazing array of stuff in her trunk that had to be collected.
4. How sweet she was on the phone with her husband.
3. The way she hugged me when it was finally finished.
2. Telling me how glad she was that I was her dad.
1. Getting to be a Dad to such a wonderful girl.
Drive thru coffee during a test drive: $8.79
A quick lunch to talk and process: $18.53
A late model hard-top convertible: $32,000
Getting to spend the whole day with my daughter: PRICELESS