Betty Davis was a member of my church and her funeral is tomorrow morning. She was a force of life! And she will be missed.
My Top Ten Favorite Things About Betty
- She and Ed got married at 16 and ran off to California.
- She called him “Cowboy”
- Did babysitting for months to buy him the guitar he wanted.
- She loved Hallmark movies.
- She was a red head.
- Made Oreo Cookies and Ice Cream a food group.
- Got her hair done every week, until Ed died.
- They lost their two sons in 1974 and 1981, but chose to live happy anyway.
- Ed and Betty opened their home and their hearts to everyone all the time.
- Her house was a safe haven for many kids, a home filled with joy.
- She loved her Lord, her church, and her family, and everyone was family.
Okay, that’s eleven things. But the list could go on and on. She leaves a legacy of faith, family, and fortune; not the kind that fills your bank account, but the kind that fills your soul.
Pink lemonade, turkey sandwiches, coconut cream pie, chocolate cream pie, every kind of cookie, cold milk, soft drinks galore, and of course, the Oreos and ice cream. These are only some of the things Betty kept in her home so everyone who came to her home would always find their favorite snack.
Her funeral service will be packed, probably standing room only. She lived a full and purposeful life. She overcame great adversity and gave great advantage to so many others. She was happy.