It will take over 2,000 squares.
Of carpet. We’ve had a bare floor in our Worship Center since the flood.
Here’s The Thing
The new carpet wasn’t delivered in giant rolls, but in boxes of carpet squares, each one measuring 2 feet by 2 feet. If my math is right, and that’s unlikely, it will take 2,250 squares to cover the 9,000 square ft floor. Is that right? Did I get it wrong?
Either way, its buckets of squares.
Well, it’s become common to install carpet squares in large applications. Some advantages:
- If one gets stained, pull it up, clean it, and put it back.
- If one gets damaged, pull it up and put another one in its place.
- If a big area gets damaged, like in a flood, replace it with new squares.
- No, the seams aren’t obvious.
- No, it isn’t cheap carpet.
- No, it didn’t take weeks, just a few days to install.
It’s true, good things come in small packages.
Two lessons about the mustard seed:
1. “Is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his garden. It grew and became a tree, and the birds perched in its branches.” Luke 13:19
2. “He replied, ‘If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you.'” Luke 17:6
Those were metaphorical, right? Faith can’t be measured by its mass, volume, or weight. Its hyperbole: exaggeration for effect. God doesn’t care about our replanting trees and birds will perch on the branches, but not all the birds.
His poignant illustrations taught this idea: Don’t say you can’t do something, or that you won’t try, because your faith is too small or weak.
Even the smallest faith can move mountains!
Sometimes I ask God to increase my faith because his teaching is hard and I don’t want to obey. So, I make it his problem. I put my lack of obedience on his shoulders.
“Increase my faith Lord, make it easier for me, and I’ll gladly do it.“
Great faith isn’t delivered in giant rolls. It comes in small pieces, one piece at a time. So, keep obeying, keep doing what is right, and watch your faith grow.
Eventually, you’ll have a full floor of faith, a great foundation for your life.