The dark lord creeps closer, the evil spreads. It’s not Harry Potter’s Voldemort.
“For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:8)
“Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” (Ephesians 6:11-12)
Now, Jesus our Messiah
“You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.” (John 8:44)
The Overwhelming Darkness
The darkness seeps into our hearts, permeates our lives, and expels the light. It overwhelms us, not at first, but later, after we’ve gone down the dark path.
How It Works
- The world makes the darkness appealing
- The powers of darkness war with our souls
- The father of lies deceives us about sin
- The spiritual forces of evil press against us
- Kids seeking acceptance will drink, have sex, and lie about it, believing the one justifies the other.
- Discouragement and depression can diminish spiritual values, compromise judgment, and lead to suicidal thoughts and attempted suicide.
- The desire to escape parental controls, is the temptation of freedom and independence, but a freedom that often becomes a noose of sin.
- The appeal of darkness is the appeal of fun and fantastic experiences, pleasures, and gratification. It’s a lie, from the father of lies.
For some, the “father of lies” is only a myth, an invented character purposed to instill fear and judgment in our hearts and minds. Is the myth the greatest lie of them all?
There is darkness in our world, evil forces pushing us toward immorality, pornography and sexual abuse, to incest, rape, and deep, dark depression. The deception is the lie that makes us believe we are above authority, beyond consequence, and exempt from the damage of self-destructive behavior. We are not, and that is the point of the darkness.
Evil can overwhelm anyone. The darkness envelopes the young and the old, it surrounds adults, teens and preteens. It isn’t a respecter of persons, it’s aiming for us all.
Be careful. Put on the full armor of God, so you can take your stand. We are at war.