Have you ever said anything so immense that people were moved to write it down? Have you been asked by someone if they could quote you on something? Have you said things simply because others were saying them? Have you repeated phrases simply because they were popular or common?
Here are some Silver Screen quotes. Guess where they are from:
- “They’re here!”
- “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.”
- “There’s no crying in baseball.”
- “After all, tomorrow is another day.”
- “Houston, we have a problem.”
For movie fans, the quotes pose no challenge at all, it’s almost insulting.
See if you can finish these slogans:
- “If you can’t say something nice…..”
- “It is what…….”
- “Every cloud has………………”
- “Idleness is the ………..”
- “One in the hand is…….”
Were these too easy? Are they so common that they are just obvious?
Name the company these slogans represent? I’ll start with an easy one.
- “Got Milk?”
- “Eat fresh”
- “Just do it.”
- “Finger lickin’ good”
- “Taste the Rainbow”
- “Snap! Crackle! Pop!
- “It Keeps Going, and Going, and Going…”
Still too easy? Did you get some of them? Most of you probably got them all.
Okay, final category. Fill in the blanks. Let’s begin with an easy one.
- “Love one another ___ ___ _____ _____ ____.”
- “Faith comes ____ _____.”
- “Encourage one another _________.”
- “With that he breathed on them and said __________ ____ ________ _______.”
- “The promise is for you and for ________ __________.”
- “I am the _____ and the _________________ of __________, and the bright _______ ___________.”
Sometimes I wish we knew our bibles at least as well as we know TV commercials, product tag lines, movie quotes, and whatever else exists in pop culture.
Maybe we do. Let’s see…
Take a moment and add up the number of TV commercials you’ve seen. Then add up the number of hours spent watching televsion. Calculate the hours spent watching movies in theaters and at home. Consider the books, magazines, and whatever else you’ve read in order to know the hundreds of common phrases that you know. Add it all up.
Now add up the total number of hours you have spent reading your bible.
Maybe we don’t.
“I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches.”
“I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.”
“I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.”